Tag Archives: project

Giganto-Bag

 

This is another market bag, of large size and with an improvement.

I’ve used thin rayon crochet yarn to give it thin, stretchy walls.

The improvement is that I doubled the yarn so that the bottom, top, and loops are made with a thicker, plusher fabric. This worked out well.

Pictures of bag, empty and loaded:

Leave a comment

Filed under Crochet Project, Success, Uncategorized

Finished Zipper Bag

And I’m not thrilled with it. I think maybe zippers are silly.

Pictures…

I’ve started on a new and better one, that won’t have a zipper. 🙂

Leave a comment

Filed under Crochet Project, Knitting, Uncategorized

Prototype Zipper Bag

It’s not perfect, but at least it’s finally done.

I added a zipper to keep stuff in
and a twill strap to keep it off the ground…
Bag

And filled with heavy stuff…
FilledBag

I made it with baby yarn (acrylic/nylon), which was a pain and may have been a mistake.
I’m mulling over improvements before I start the next one.

4 Comments

Filed under Crochet Project, Knitting, Tunisian Crochet Technique, Uncategorized

The Mark 2 is Better

Yes, I like this one…
Mark2

2ndMark2

The tricks:
1. I used a contrasting yarn for the return chain in the “in the round” Tunisian crochet.

2. I made the handles much shorter because they stretched a lot–more than I would have thought possible.

3. I also gave the handles a deliberate lean by skipping the first stitch of the forward pass then adding an extra stitch at the end of the forward pass. Otherwise the stitch I used (the chain-top simple stitch, which is often called the extended simple stitch) crochets up fairly square.

4. I’ve made the handles wider where they connect to the bag. This gives the bag a better shape.

5. The lacy part of the “in the round” knitting is: “purl 2 together” alternated with “yarn overs” for a full row, then two (2) rows of straight knit stitch (stockinette), and repeat.

If you have other questions, please ask.

Meanwhile I’m enjoying using this one 🙂

4 Comments

Filed under Crochet Project, Knitting, Success

Market Bag for Exercise Stuff

I’ve been carrying my exercise stuff in one of my early market bags and I was pretty sure that I could do better.

Yup…
ExerciseBag

What the bottom looks like…
BagBott

It looks like I can successfully design these from scratch now, so I will probably write this up as a free PDF and offer it through Ravelry (maybe, if I get around to it).

The tricks…
1. Create a smallish square using traditional Tunisian Crochet
2. Add to all 4 edges using in-the-round TC with a 2-ended hook
3. Loop around several times with increases at each corner until the bottom is sort of round
4. From there, increase the number of chains for every other stitch on the return pass (this will gradually take you from a dense fabric to an open mesh, while increasing the bag’s diameter)
5. Once you have 3 chains between every stitch, stop expanding the bag (this is the cylindrical body of the bag)
6. At the top, turn the mesh back into a solid ribbon by doing 4 stitches about each chain, while binding off the top of the stitch
7. Add 2 rectangular handles to the solid ribbon at the top and you’re done!

1 Comment

Filed under Crochet Project, Success

Camo yarn headband

Yup, camo yarn–I suppose it’s a reaction to the pink

I used a new stitch for this, which I’m calling Square Lace. Usually I avoid the lacy look, but this looks more like a complicated loose weave.
Start of camo HB

This one is like the purl stitch–you hold the yarn in front of the work to create bars at the bottom of the loops that you pull up (during the forward pass). In my notation, this one is: F/(-c)y(2a)y.

I’ve added it to the Stitch Gallery, next to the very similar lambda stitch.

This headband looks very silly on,
so Mr. Lou graciously agreed to model it for me:
Lou in HB
HB detail
As you can see in the second picture, the back pattern on this stitch is fairly neat (and I’ve added a conventional crochet brim).

One irritating discovery about this stitch–it expands if you pull on it and stays expanded. Those with more experience probably could have predicted this. Fortunately, the husband helped me see this before I settled on the finished length of the headband (or it would have stretched out and fallen off).

Ah well, it works and will keep me cooler while gardening in our hot summers. Plus it’ll entertain any neighbors who catch me in it. 😉

2 Comments

Filed under Crochet Project, Tunisian Crochet Stitches

Too Pink!

I’m not a big fan of pink, but let’s consider the progress anyway…

The new stitch, which I’m calling the Dry Teardrop stitch:
Dry teardrop stitch

So this will get added to the Stitch Gallery soon,
when I rename the Flat Simple stitch as the Bird Tail stitch.
(Should anyone reading this know better names,
please do use the comment feature to say so.)

A sample of rows of the dry teardrop stitch {B/cy(-m)(2a)y} sewn into a headband with rows of the bird tail stitch {B/acy}.
Pink headband detail

Since the 2 patterns require color changes on the opposite sides of the piece, I also had to work out how to carry a color to the other side (inconspicuously).

The biggest success here: I’m definitely beginning to rethink the way I’ve been fussing about the tilt on some of these stitches. Properly used, the tilt could be a nice design element. Below, the still in-progress headband demonstrates this.
Pink headband

So all in all, a successful thing (in spite of the color and a couple of conspicuous errors). 🙂

Leave a comment

Filed under Combo of Tunisian Stitches, Crochet Project