I’ve been spending too much time on these, so this is the last one.
It’s optimized, with a nice thick bottom.
It’s not perfect, but at least it’s finally done.
I made it with baby yarn (acrylic/nylon), which was a pain and may have been a mistake.
I’m mulling over improvements before I start the next one.
1. I used a contrasting yarn for the return chain in the “in the round” Tunisian crochet.
2. I made the handles much shorter because they stretched a lot–more than I would have thought possible.
3. I also gave the handles a deliberate lean by skipping the first stitch of the forward pass then adding an extra stitch at the end of the forward pass. Otherwise the stitch I used (the chain-top simple stitch, which is often called the extended simple stitch) crochets up fairly square.
4. I’ve made the handles wider where they connect to the bag. This gives the bag a better shape.
5. The lacy part of the “in the round” knitting is: “purl 2 together” alternated with “yarn overs” for a full row, then two (2) rows of straight knit stitch (stockinette), and repeat.
If you have other questions, please ask.
Meanwhile I’m enjoying using this one 🙂
This one seems to be going well, so far…
Yes, this should have worked
and it’s a much more elegant design:
…But I’m not convinced it will stay on
The heel feels like it’ll slide off.
In any event, I did find a nice subtle rib combo on the way there.
It’s the Simple/2Knit-BckBar, which looks like this:
It also has a nice rippled back side that looks like this:
the sock saga continues onward!
this was long overdue.
I’ve been steadily adding details to the Ravelry project page:
so this would be the best summary.
I ended up ripping the lining and just adding a corrugated (Purled Post/2 Knit-BckBar) bottom inside.
The inner bottom layer serves two (2) purposes:
1. It’s good padding for the contents and keeps them from poking through the bottom.
2. The Knit-BckBar stitch leans toward the end of the forward pass,
so the purse bottom and the inner bottom leaned in opposite ways
and sorta canceled each other out when I sewed their backsides together.
This is a picture of the inside of the purse, just after I sewed the lining in:
I’m quite pleased with the new bag and so glad that it’s finally done!