This turned out well 🙂
It was going to be a variation on this potholder: http://crochet.about.com/od/homedecorpatterns/p/easy_crochet_potholders.htm which was a TAL project for the Beginner Tunisian Crochet Group over on Ravelry.
…But then I noticed that the yarn contained acrylic, so this project got customized even more than usual.
Lots of pictures of finished item:
(Those are traditional crochet hooks inside it.)
The thing that interested me the most in the original pattern was the way the two pieces of crocheted fabric were fastened together and edged, so I used all of that in the kit bag.
This is my biggest challenge now, to finish off the pieces in traditional crochet, without giving them the more frilly look of traditional crochet.
It looks to me like that worked out here.