I’ve been exploring ways of using the teardrop stitch and keeping it from tilting wildly. Along the way, I worked out a similar stitch that’s also nice.
I made a hair band, since a girl with my wild hair can never have too many of those. This is made up of sample blocks where I tried various ways of controlling the tilt of the teardrop stitch, separated by bands of purl stitch.
First, I did columns of teardrop stitch, surrounded by my favorite “bird tail” stitch (B/acy, which I’ve been calling the flat simple stitch… but it reminds me of when little birds perk up their tails, so I’ll be changing the name).
This helped some, as you can see from the sample on the left:
I found that surrounding the teardrop stitch with a column of X stitches also helped, as I did for the sample on the right
I expanded out to a larger block of teardrop stitch surrounded by X stitch columns. See the sample at the right, below.
This tilted more, but it’s okay for a piece like this.
I also tried to get rid of the tilt by switching whether I pulled the extra loop before or after I pulled a loop through the 2 vertical bars. In my notation, that would be alternating between rows of B/by(2a)y and B/(2a)yby but the 2nd way is trickier to do, so things got messy. You can see that with the sample to the left, below.
I figured that I’d done as much as I could with the teardrop stitch, so I modified it in hopes that the new stitch would tilt less. It’s in the sample on the right, above and it’s B/cy(-m)(2a)y in my notation.
That means that you pull a loop through 2 vertical bars after you pull a loop through the “c” thread between them. (It needs to be after because before would be impossible). This next diagram should help you find the “c” thread …and the vertical bars (“a” threads), as well
This produces another great stitch, similar to the teardrop stitch, but tighter & neater. 🙂 Sooooo, I’ll be making a 2-color sample of the new stitch and naming it, once I see what it looks like.