Switch in Focus

I’m still working on the sock pattern and expect to be posting it soon, but I’ve switched off of socks… And I’ll be knitting chemo hats with my sock yarn stash.

Making them out of Tunisian Crochet would be more fun, but the stretchy light-weight knit hats seem nicer. Perhaps later I’ll do Tunisian brims.

The first one:


Filed under Uncategorized

Tunisian Sock Pattern–Planned

Yup, I’m working on one.
It’ll be another Ravelry PDF freebie, when it’s done.

I’ve made up some socks using a couple of light worsted-weight yarns.
I’m using a mercerized cotton for the inside to make the socks cooler (the hot season is starting here) and a pretty acrylic/nylon yarn for the outside.

As you can see, the one on the outside is Berrocco Comfort. The cotton one is probably a Cascade yarn (but I lost the wrapper long ago).

Using worsted-weight yarn produces a nubbie fabric and produces more of an odd-looking slipper, than a sock.
However, it’s really a lot harder to make the socks using lovely sock yarn.

But once you’ve mastered the techniques, then you can use finer yarn and the same pattern to make socks that look like this.

As I write up the pattern, I’ll be posting pointers here.

Pointer #1: how I do the toe on these (toe-up) socks
1. Make a butterfly-shaped piece
2. Attach two (2) corners together
3. Continue on by pulling loops at the edge of the starting row
4. Attach the 2nd set of butterfly corners
5. Continue on, in-the-round, to the rest of the sock
6. After the work is done, seam the open sides of the toe. This isn’t elegant, but it works better for me than trying to hook into the existing sides of the 1st half of the butterfly.

So yup, that’s the plan.


Filed under Crochet Project, PDF Pattern, Socks, Tunisian Crochet Technique

Yup, this is what I was trying to do

These are definitely socks and they definitely have a woven look to them.




And they even work in sandals:

I’m basking in success at this end :-D


Filed under Crochet Project, Success

Plaid Tunisian Socks

Yup it wasn’t easy, but I did it.

flat on side
flat, top and bottom

They are pretty cute on, mainly because I lose some of the stretchiness to the plaid pattern, so they need quite a precise fit.
This picture doesn’t really capture it
…but I didn’t have the patience to do a better one.

The “plaid pattern” is
1. three (3) rows of Simple, Sock, Simple, Sock, Sock, Sock, Sock, & repeat;
2. then a row of Chain-Top Simple (Extended Simple);
3. then a row of Simple;
and repeat the rows.

1 Comment

Filed under Crochet Project, Success

Still at it…

I’ve been meaning to post these socks for a while.
I like the way they turned out :-)

I also did some other socks that I don’t like so much, so you won’t be seeing them.
But they did trigger an idea for a plaid fabric, so I did an in-the-round test swatch for this,
which eventually turned into a wrist warmer.
wrist warmer
…And I’ve documented this stitch combo in my Stitch Combo Gallery.

I have started on the plaid socks and they do look promising!
…So perhaps you will be seeing them soon.

Leave a comment

Filed under Combo of Tunisian Stitches, Crochet Project, Success

Tunisian Sock Stitch (how to do)

I’ve started on another pair in some lovely yarn
and it seems like a good time to share the stitch combo that I’ve been using.

This is a row of Chain-top Simple Stitch (AKA Extended Simple Stitch) alternated with two (2) rows of an original stitch that I call the Sock Stitch. The Sock Stitch rows give the fabric a bit of elastic sideways stretch and alternating the stitches gives it a bit of vertical stretch.

The latest sock, so far
I’m using “gold” Opal sock yarn for the in-the-round return pass
and multicolored Jitterbug sock yarn for everything else.

First, the Chain-top Simple Stitch (aka Extended Simple Stitch),
which is probably already familiar.
1. You start by hooking behind the front vertical bar, as for the Simple Stitch

2. Then you add a chain stitch to the top of it

This produces a stitch that is flatter and a bit taller than the Simple Stitch
It’s a lovely stitch, but it has no sideways stretch to it at all.

…So on to the Sock Stitch, which does stretch sideways,
but tends to curl dramatically.

This is not a problem in the finished sock (in fact, it creates the vertical stretch),
but it does make it harder to photograph.
So all of the Sock Stitch pictures show the Sock Stitch being created
on top of a Chain-top Simple Stitch.

1. To start the Sock Stitch, I pull back that vertical front bar
so that I can reach the vertical back bar

2. Then I pull a loop between the vertical bars, so that the back bar is forced forward
This creates a stitch that is rotated sideways

But that’s not enough to keep the stitch twisted, so that it will stretch reversibly…
On the return pass, you also need to secure it with an untwisted return chain,
as shown here:
This picture is shot from the back of the part that I’m working on,
although you can see some of the front as well, because I’m working “in-the-round”.

If all goes well, the Sock stitch will have enough sideways stretch to work as a sock fabric. Knit rib is far stretchier, but not as cool IMO.

So anyway, that’s how it’s done.
The result is
and turned inside-out

Leave a comment

Filed under Combo of Tunisian Stitches, Tunisian Crochet Stitches, Tunisian Crochet Technique

Shoe Socks

Finally, these do fit inside shoes.
top flat side

I like to wear them with the top rolled down and the backside of the Tunisian crochet showing


Filed under Crochet Project, Success